Tuesday 20 December 2011

Freedom is mine and I know how I feel.

Dear essays, midterms and finals,
You are dead to me.
Sincerely, one very contended exchange student.

Yes, Christmas is in five days, and I have just finished my last exam. Frankly, I think it's inhumane to have exams so close to Christmas, but apparently Canadians have no concern for human rights. I might be exaggerating. But only a little.
Apologies for my recent absence. Take-home exam, actual exams and the presence of my wonderful sister have been preoccupying my time. Since said sister is currently on a bus from Niagara Falls to Toronto (in just 7.5 hours I'll be hopping on a bus to join her wheeeee) I find myself with some time on my hands, so let's have a catch-up.
There's not a lot to tell. Exams suck, but they're over, so we'll speak no more of and get on with the show.
My darling Rachel arrived last Tuesday (cue obligatory Miranda impression) and she has very dutifully been making me breakfast, doing my washing up and letting me be boring and do revision. In return, she gets to sleep on a blow-up mattress on my floor and use my bus pass to steal transportation around the city while I stay at home and revise. It's working well. On Thursday we went on a very rainy trip to Montreal, which involved lots of cold, wet walking and not a lot else, but we did go to the Biodome and see animals and fishes and penguins :) I also finally saw my first beaver. No, that is not a euphemism, you utter filth. On Sunday we went to an art gallery which had a table where kids could sit and make art out of pictures of circuit boards (inspired by a collection of art in the gallery, of course; most people don't generally associate arts and crafts with circuit boards). Naturally, we joined in. It quickly became apparent that I got all of the family's artistic skill, as my beautiful sunflower made whatever the hell her picture was suppsoed to be look like an utter shambles.
The highlight of my week was perhaps the bus with an advert on the back that read, "Finally, funerals are affordable". While I understand that the price of funerals can be an issue, I can't help but imagine some poor mother watching her child get run over by that very same bus, and while she's screaming in distress, the bus driver comes over and says "Well, at least you'll get value for money". My mind works in mysterious ways.
Oh, did I mention that I got a 97 on my Finnegans Wake essay? 97!!! Clearly all these years of talking utter nonsense have paid off.
It's cold. Like, really cold. The cold is making my face fall apart. I'm not even joking. My skin is just deteriorating. It's quite distressing. I look like I've got a disease and the skin under my nose looks like some kind of weird red flaky Hitler moustache. And you thought I couldn't get any sexier. Make-up hurts, so I'm just walking around looking like some greasy-haired, red-faced, blotchy mutant. Nom. The greasy hair has nothing to do with the cold: I've just been too exam-ridden and hat-dependent to care. But that's enough about me and my disgusting physicality. I'm not Leopold Bloom, after all. (Check me out and my hilarious Joyce references. I'm not a geek. Honest.)
Speaking of Joyce, I was actually quite sad to be rid of him after my exam yesterday. Obviously, I was sadder to be rid of Adam and Travis, who might just be the loves of my life, but still. I was really starting to enjoy Finnegans Wake, although I still can't make much sense of it, but quite frankly, I don't think you're supposed to! I've also said goodbye to my ethics class and my Aboriginal lit class, both of which I'll miss, although Aboriginal lit is looking likely to provide some dissertation inspiration for next year, so I don't think I've seen the back of it just yet!
Obviously, the most exciting news in that in 48 hours I will be on a plane and on my way home for Christmas :D :D I'm just a little bit excited, although I'm mildly concerned that I will be completely and utterly crushed by my mother upon my return, but that's small sacrifice I'm willing to make for the sake of home-cooked food, non-weird-tasting Cadbury's chocolate and Welsh cakes. Oh and family. And friends. And my sofa. And New Year in Exeter. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep :D
On a sadder note, this also means that Simone is leaving for good, which is very upsetting. I'm not sure if I can fathom the idea of coming back in January and not having my little aussie ethics buddy next door :( Also have to mention Becca and Karina, who are also heading back to the land oz, never to return. Goodbyes suck. It also means that two new girls will be moving in next door. Who will they be? Where will they be from? What will they be like? The tension is almsot unbearable.
Anyways, I have a dinner date with Simone in half an hour and I need to shower.
It's a new dawn; it's a new day; it's a new life for me; and I'm going to Toronto.
I'm also feeling good.
Au revoir, mes amis.

P.S. I've had some more Russian views, and one from Japan. I've gone global. Clearly the world is going mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment